How to become an Ambulance Driver in UK

The traditional route in training to become a paramedic is to complete an approved university course. There are however other routes you can take to become a paramedic; these include working as a student paramedic with an ambulance trust or doing an apprenticeship. It is always best to check your local ambulance service’s website for more information on the required training. 

Another career to consider with providing a medical service is becoming an ambulance care driver. This role involves driving patients within the community to hospital appointments. You can call us to book your appointment for Ambulance Driver Training in UK.

What driving qualifications do I need to drive an ambulance?

To be able to drive an ambulance as a paramedic or an ambulance care driver in the UK you will need to obtain a Class C1 on your driving license. This license means you can drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes

HGV Training

How do I get my C1 license?

You can begin to complete your C1 license by being over 18 years old and already holding a car driving license. If you passed your driving license before January 1997, you will have gained grandfather rights meaning you will not need to complete any additional tests. For anyone who passed after January 1997 will need to complete the steps below, GS Driver training can help with each step: 

1).  To begin the process you will need to undergo a medical check and have the doctor complete a D4 medical form. This D4 form needs to be sent off to the DVLA along with a D2 form requesting your C1 provisional entitlement. 

2). Once the provisional entitlement has been added, you will need to complete the two theory tests. One is a multiple-choice test and the other is hazard perception. GS Driver Training can book these tests for you along with providing revision material for you to use. 

3). Following the pass of your theory tests, you can then begin your practical training and tests. The practical training will help you in becoming a safe confident driver of the vehicle along with the teaching of maneuvers. The 3a. reverse test will need to be completed prior to taking the full practical 3b. test. On successful completion of the practical test, you can then send off for your C1 licence and you can begin your career in driving a large goods vehicle.

Also Read: What is Driver CPC Training?

You might be Interested In:

What is HGV Class 2 Licence?

What is HGV Class 2 Licence?" A HGV Class 2 licence is a type of comme...

Read More
What is Driver CPC Training?

CPC certification is a legal requirement for professional drivers with...

Read More
How to become an Ambulance Driver in UK

The traditional route in training to become a paramedic is to complete...

Read More
Your Cart